Chocolate Cakes (vegan style)
Contributed by: Jasmine Basma
Ingredients (to make 12)
Note: The ones I made had chocolate flake things (usually
used to decorate) in mix, plain chocolate.
- 400g plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 100g shortening (i.e. soya marg, vegetable fat etc, I reckon veg. fat works better)
- 200g sugar
- 2 teaspoons egg replacer*
- 400ml water
- flavouring (in this case, cocoa, um, to taste?! About 100g I think, maybe more, I always guess)
*egg replacer is fantastic stuff, you can get it from
Beanfreaks and places like that, about £4 but enough
to replace 40 eggs so y'know, cool…recipes on the
back, and you can use it in pancakes (how much more
can I sell it to you?!).
- Preheat oven to 195 degrees celcius (380 f, gas mark 5)
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, egg replacer, cocoa.
- Add shortening and cream together.
- Add water and any liquid flavouring (e.g. vanilla essence etc)
- Mix for a few minutes thoroughly (because the egg replacer needs to have a lot of air incorporated).
- Divide between cake cases or make one HUGE cake or whatever…
- Bake for 30 minutes (check around 20-25), or until done (knife test!).
A RECIPE I FORCE ON ALL THE VEGANS I KNOW (not many in
truth!)...just in case you're in a bakin' mood!
Return to Recipes